Friday 6 March 2015

My Happy Baby and her happy tune


Babies can be difficult to please. And there is no magic formula or a sure shot way of keeping them engaged and happy too. As a first time mother, it is a journey full of discoveries and even inventions (which I am sure has been invented before).

 My daughter is the most beautiful one on planet earth (yeah yeah … I know … every mother feel the same about their child). And is unique in many ways (yeah yeah, I know what u r saying – 'she is unique … just like every other child')

She is 9 months now and has not yet begun to form words. She will make the Nana, dada, mumma sounds and it is still difficult to get 'papa' from her (much to the disappointment of her 'papa'). She has just about began to crawl on her knees and has also begun to walk with support of her walker (standing outside the walker and holding it – rather than sitting inside).

She has her very own favorite time to become hyper active … and it is about midnight … when I am really really tired from the days work and want to doze off. But the active one would not sleep and start talking (read: blabbering and gurgling and laughing) and in general trying to get my attention.

If in the few moments, I do not pay attention, she will start wandering around in the room which is not exactly what I want her to be doing at midnight when I am trying to sleep. Any attempt to confine her in some space or near me (without me paying active attention) and she will start making noises which can be almost be seen as crying.

Most of the time, it is the wetness around her legs and bums which will make her cry so that's the first thing I check. Second will be the attention she needs (my hubby calls it the ASB … attention seeking behavior … and says it is very very natural).

The Pampers Baby Dry Pants (http://www.rewardme.in/tag/Pampers.) solve one part of the problem at least. They claim that the Magic Gel locks in moisture so that the baby's skin remains dry and healthy for up to 12 hours – well, I don't know science behind it but I guess it works. Now wetness is not the reason for her to cry since the new product is efficient enough to absorb almost instantly any wetness giving the baby a dry feel.

Now coming to the ASB part … ever since I was pregnant, hubby chose a particular whistle tune and would constantly play it when he was around me. Even after the baby was born, he would hummm the same tune to calm the baby. He had some weird logic and theory of 'familiarity giving impression of safety and comfort'. He also recorded the tune on my phone so that I could play that even when he was not around.

Over the months, I have found that my daughter does respond nicely to the tune. She begins to look around for the source of the tune (her papa) and even if she does not find him, she is generally calm when the tune plays. Calm and happy

Once she is calm and happy, I give her one of her toys so that she can focus on it and be still in one place and gradually go to sleep.

The tune (which my hubby told me later was from the movie Kill Bill) has become one of the most effectively used method to keep my baby calm and happy.

You should watch this too … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTlVOdovIZ8

 

No comments:

Post a Comment