Friday 6 March 2015

Looking up to my Gang of Girls

 

I wish I could go back in time. I had some wonderful college friends and we were a livid group of girls (yep … it was an all-girls gang). We had a lot of fun and we were a very closely knit group with no fall-outs during the several years in college.

We started out as 5 and we are still 5 who have remained in touch through all these years.

I look up to each one of them as individuals who have guided my life and made me into what I am today. They have molded my thinking and shaped my thoughts over the years.

I would have been a very different person if not for them. I would probably have ended up being an introvert and a person devoid of the zing in life. I would have submitted to the vagaries of life and become a docile person who would take life as it is without challenging it ever.

My friends taught me about life. How we live our life in the way we want. We make the choices and we are responsible. It is weak to blame the circumstances because even in the worst of circumstances, we have the choice. And the circumstances are in a lot of cases, a result of our earlier actions and decisions.

My brother has been the rock and anchor in my life. My friends (the gang of girls) have been the waves which shaped my life. They gave me a fresh new outlook to life. They helped me form my own thoughts and draw conclusions from them. They taught me how to take decisions and be responsible for them.

I cherish all the fun times we had in college.

I cherish the endless discussions on varied topics we had.

I cherish the occasional fights and differences we had.

I cherish all the coming together after the fights and quarrels and laughing at ourselves.

I cherish all the 'girl-talk' we would have and all the ogling we would do.

I cherish all the super-fun moments and pranks we played.

And I miss them all.

Life happened to us. We went our own ways. Some worked, other waited to get married. At this stage, all 5 of us are married and have children of different ages.

We remained in touch over phone and meeting each other rarely over the years. We somehow could never arrange to have all 5 of us in the same place at the same time in the past 10 years. Email was not something we connected over while in college so it somehow never became a communication channel for us. Then came whatsapp and we connected again. And now we could all share our lives on that small screen. Sharing our pictures, our moments of joy and pain. We have begun to share our life again … as we did in college.

Looking up from the mobile screen where one of my friends shared an old photo of ours I wish we could all go back in time and take admission in a college with a hostel and spend more time together.

Just today someone was talking about moving into another house and when asked how did they find it, the response was Housing.com … https://housing.com/lookup

No comments:

Post a Comment